24 avril 2015

National hiring experiments reveal 2:1 faculty preference for women on STEM tenure track

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "scienceofsciencepolicy"It is a complex and incredibly well designed study with some very interesting manipulations, and a sample size allowing for the appropriate tests. BUT, I can't help but question the external validity. Granted, compared to many studies in this area, it is much more ecologically valid. Nonetheless, I can see at least three issues here, so I'm a little concerned to see the authors conclude, "We interpreted our findings to mean that anti-female bias in academic hiring has ended. Changing cultural values, gender-awareness training, and trends such as the retirement of older faculty members have brought us to a time when women in academic science are seen as more desirable hires than equally competent men" (from first link below). With that said, here are what I see as the primary concerns.
INGRoup 2015 July 23-25 in Pittsburgh!
www.ingroup.net
The myth about women in science
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/opinions/williams-ceci-women-in-science/in...Women best men in STEM faculty hiring study http://news.sciencemag.org/education/2015/04/women-best-men-stem-faculty...National hiring experiments reveal 2:1 faculty preference for women on STEM tenure track http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/04/08/1418878112.full.pdf. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 22:09 - - Permalien [#]
Tags :


12 avril 2015

Characteristics of the College-Educated Population and the Science and Engineering Workforce in the United States

National Science Foundation LogoBy John Finamore and Beethika Khan. T​he number of college graduates in the United States nearly doubled between 1993 and 2013, from 29 million to 55 million, according to the National Survey of College Graduates (NSCG). The number of college graduates with degrees in science and engineering (S&E) fields grew faster than the number of college graduates with degrees in non-S&E fields. Additionally, in 2013, about 1 in 10 college graduates were employed in an S&E occupation, and this proportion has remained largely unchanged since 1993. Women accounted for more than one-half of the college graduate population in the United States in 2013. However, women constituted only 29% of those employed in S&E occupations.
Download PDF. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 16:33 - - Permalien [#]

06 avril 2015

Student-led TEDx aims to bridge curricular gap

eCampus NewsApril 3rd, 2015. With growing pressure for students to focus on STEM, pioneering undergraduate students from one university recently decided to focus not just on science, but on a “coalescence” of science and art–a topic so critical, said the students, that it warranted a self-made TEDx summit. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 11:19 - - Permalien [#]

Faculty Propose Sweet Briar Shift Focus to STEM

HomeTwenty-plus faculty members and alumnae of Sweet Briar College announced Thursday that they want to keep the institution alive but shift its focus to science, mathematics and technology. The plan would have the college focus on STEM, with seven majors in those fields. The college would remain a women's institution and thus become the only one to focus on STEM. Read more...

Posté par pcassuto à 01:18 - - Permalien [#]

STEM, not STEAM

HomeBy Gary S. May. The last few years have brought a call from some quarters to update the STEM acronym -- for science, technology, engineering and mathematics -- to STEAM, with the A standing for arts. On the surface, such a move seems harmless. What’s another letter, right? But in my view, STEM should stay just as it is, because education policy has yet to fully embrace the concept it represents -- and that concept is more important than ever. Read more...

Posté par pcassuto à 01:03 - - Permalien [#]


29 mars 2015

Maine plans to offer interest-free loans to draw more science and technology students

By Noel K. Gallagher. The legislation, which is still being drafted, seeks to give graduates an incentive to work in STEM fields in Maine, filling a growing need. Read more...

Posté par pcassuto à 22:59 - - Permalien [#]

Physical sciences contribute 22% of economy – Report

By Geoff Maslen. Titled The Importance of Advanced Physical and Mathematical Sciences to the Australian Economy, the report says the direct contribution of the advanced physical and mathematical sciences is equal to 11% of the economy while additional and flow-on benefits add another 11%, bringing the total benefits to just over 22% or almost A$300 billion a year. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 14:38 - - Permalien [#]

Many Factors Contribute to Low Share of Women in Engineering and Computing

http://chronicle.com/img/photos/biz/Ticker%20revised%20round%2045.gifBy . Report: “Solving the Equation: The Variables for Women’s Success in Engineering and Computing”Organization: American Association of University Women
Authors: Christianne Corbett, senior researcher, and Catherine Hill, vice president for research, both of the association
Summary: Gender bias, workplace exclusion, and a lack of support structures are some of the factors contributing to the lack of women working in engineering and computing, according to a new report by the American Association of University Women. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 11:57 - - Permalien [#]
Tags :

REPORT: The Importance of Advanced Physical and Mathematical Sciences to the Australian Economy

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "gov.au"On 25 March 2015, the report The Importance of Advanced Physical and Mathematical Sciences to the Australian Economy was released.
To read or print the report, click here.
An infographic of key report findings is available here.
A joint media release by Professor Chubb and The Academy of Science can be read here.
The report was commissioned by the Office of the Chief Scientist and the Australian Academy of Science and produced by the Centre for International Economics (CIE).
The report combines the expertise of Australia’s scientific community with that of business and industry. The aim has been to produce an economic framework that can use the available statistics and economic modelling techniques to provide a timely reminder of how much of our national economic activity depends on the advanced physical and mathematical sciences (the APM sciences). The APM sciences comprise physics, chemistry, the earth sciences and the mathematical sciences, where ‘advanced’ means science undertaken and applied in the past 20 years. Biology and the life sciences were not covered in the report.
The direct contribution of the APM sciences is estimated to be 11% (or about $145 billion per year of the Australian economy). The contribution in additional and flow-on benefits equals another 11%, bringing the total benefits to 22% or around $292 billion per year. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 09:19 - - Permalien [#]

28 mars 2015

Why aren’t more girls choosing maths and science at university?

OECD educationtodayBy Dirk Van Damme Head of the Innovation and Measuring Progress division, Directorate for Education and Skills. But on an aggregate level, have OECD countries been successful in attracting more girls and women into STEM studies? The most recent Education Indicators in Focus issue No. 30 provides some interesting recent data on gender gaps in education and employment. In recent decades, significant progress has been made in raising women’s educational attainment, so that, on average, women now have higher attainment rates than men. Read more...

Posté par pcassuto à 10:49 - - Permalien [#]