By Stephen Downes - Stephen's Web. What we still haven’t learned from Gamergate
Aja Romano, Vox, 2020/01/22
Good article in Vox listing what we didn't learn from Gamergate (quoted):
- Police have to learn how to keep the rest of us safe from internet mobs
- Businesses have to learn when online outrage is manufactured
- Social media platforms didn't learn how to shut down disingenuous conversations over ethics and free speech before they started to tear their cultures apart
- Violence against women is a predictor of other kinds of violence. We need to acknowledge it.
- Politicians and the media must take online "ironic" racism and misogyny seriously.
These issues are of course not limited to video gaming culture, and the effects have spilled over into all domains. More...