By Stephen Downes - Stephen's Web. 7 reasons: Why we need to kill boring ‘learning objectives’!
Donald Clark, Donald Clark Plan B, 2015/03/24
I'm not really a fan of learning objectives either. For the record, here are Clark's seven reasons:
- Objectives make a poor first impression
- Stating objectives defers learner engagement
- They also cause people to stop paying attention
- They are a misapplication of Gagne
- The rule that objectives must be stated is overly prescriptive
- It's difficult to write good objectives, and few master it
- Stating them is a waste of time
From my reading, these sever objections are really just one objection stated over and over. More...