The latest edition of Higher Education Policy (HEP) is a special edition entitled Innovative Approaches to Doctoral Education in Africa (IDEA-PhD), and which brings together three papers on recent developments in doctoral education in Africa, as well as a selection of papers from various regions of the world:
- Evaluating Doctoral Programmes in Africa: Context and Practices – Michael Cross and Judy Backhouse;
- The Experiences and Needs of African Doctoral Students: Current Conditions and Future Support – Julie Stackhouse and Jonathan Harle;
- Doctoral Education and Institutional Research Capacity Strengthening: An Example at Makerere University in Uganda (2000–2013) – Hannah Akuffo, Phyllis Freeman, Eva Johansson, Celestino Obua, Jasper Ogwal-Okeng and Paul Waako;
- Policy Reforms, Trojan Horses, and Imaginary Friends: The Role of External Stakeholders in Internal Quality Assurance Systems - Maria João Rosa and Pedro Teixeira;
- Democratizing Higher Education and Access to Science: The Portuguese Reform 2006–2010 – Manuel Heitor and Hugo Horta;
- The Ranking Phenomenon and the Experience of Academics in Taiwan - William Yat Wai Lo;
- New Challenges for Strategy Development in Irish Higher Education Institutions – Deirdre Lillis and Marion Lynch.
For more information, abstracts and ordering, please visit the Journal’s homepage on Palgrave Macmillan's website.